There are several possible causes of eyelash loss, ranging from medical conditions to simple lifestyle choices. The following article will discuss five different causes for why your eyelashes could be falling out as well as some preventive measures that you can take. It will also discuss what helps lashes grow back.
But before that, it’s important to understand the anatomy of an eyelash so that you can better understand why they may be falling out.
Why are my eyelashes falling out?
Eyelashes are made up of a hair shaft, a bulb at the base of the hair shaft, and a gland that produces oil to lubricate the hair shaft. The hair shaft is made up of three layers: the medulla, cortex, and cuticle.
The medulla is the innermost layer and is made up of spongy cells. The cortex is the middle layer and is made up of hard, compact cells. The cuticle is the outermost layer and consists of overlapping scales that protect the inner layers.
The bulb is the part of the eyelash that is in contact with the eyeball. The bulb contains several important structures, including the hair follicle, sebaceous glands, and blood vessels. The hair follicle is a tubular structure that houses the cells that produce the hair shaft.
The sebaceous glands produce an oily substance that lubricates the hair shaft and helps to keep the eyelashes from drying out. The blood vessels provide nutrients to the cells of the bulb.
The oil produced by the sebaceous glands helps to keep the eyelashes soft and pliable. When this oil is not replenished, the eyelashes can become dry and brittle, which can lead to them breaking or falling out.
How many lashes do you lose a day?
It is normal to lose a few eyelashes each day. In fact, the lash shedding of an average person takes between one and five lashes per day. If you are losing more than this, it could be a sign that something is wrong.
Causes of Eyelash Loss
There are several possible causes of dry, brittle eyelashes that could lead to your eyelashes falling out, including:
- Not enough oil being produced by the sebaceous glands: This can be due to a number of factors, such as aging, menopause, pregnancy, use of birth control pills, or certain medical conditions.
- Use of harsh chemicals: This includes both cosmetics and cleansers that contain harsh chemicals that can strip the natural oils from the eyelashes, making them dry and brittle.
- Allergies: Certain allergies, such as those to dust, pollen, or dander, can cause the eyelashes to become irritated and fall out.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as diabetes, thyroid problems, or alopecia areata, can cause the eyelashes to fall out.
- Trauma: Injury to the eye area can damage the hair follicles and lead to lash loss.
What’s the natural eyelash growth cycle?
Eyelashes have a natural growth cycle just like the hair on your head. This cycle consists of three phases: the growth phase, regression phase, and resting phase.
The growth phase, also known as the anagen phase, is when the eyelashes are actively growing. This phase can last for several weeks or months.
The regression phase, also known as the catagen phase, is when the eyelashes stop growing and begin to fall out. This phase also known as the lash shedding season lasts for about two weeks.
The resting phase, also known as the telogen phase, is when the hair follicle rests and the lash falls out. This phase lasts for about 100 days.
After the resting phase, the cycle begins again with the growth phase.
How to stimulate eyelash growth naturally?
So, what helps your eyelashes grow? There are several home remedies you can do to stimulate eyelash growth naturally, including:
- Eating a healthy diet: A diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals is necessary for eyelash growth. Make sure to include plenty of leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables in your diet.
- Using a lash serum: There are many different lash serums on the market that can help to stimulate growth. Look for a serum that contains vitamins and minerals, such as biotin and vitamin E.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is a natural plant extract that has many benefits for hair growth. Apply aloe vera gel to the lashes before going to bed to help stimulate growth.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help to keep the lashes hydrated and prevent them from breaking. Apply coconut oil to the lashes before going to bed.
- Green tea: Green tea is rich in antioxidants that can help to protect the hair follicles and promote growth. Steep a green tea bag in hot water for 5 minutes and then apply it to the lashes with a cotton ball. Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
- Massage: Gently massage the lash line each night to help stimulate blood flow and promote growth.
How long does it take for eyelashes to grow back?
It typically takes about two to four months for the eyelashes to grow back. However, this can vary depending on the cause of the lash loss. For example, if the lashes are falling out due to a medical condition, it may take longer for them to grow back.
Does crying make your eyelashes longer?
There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that crying makes your eyelashes grow longer. However, some people may notice that their lashes seem longer after a good cry. This is likely due to the fact that the tears from crying can help to moisturize and protect the lashes.
How can I prevent future eyelash loss?
There are several things you can do to prevent future eyelash loss, including:
- Use a lash serum: A lash serum can help to nourish and strengthen the lashes, making them less likely to break or fall out.
- Be gentle with your lashes: Avoid rubbing or pulling on your lashes. Also, be careful when applying makeup and make sure to remove it gently.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals: Avoid using products that contain harsh chemicals, such as eyelash curlers or mascaras. Choose products that are designed for sensitive eyes.
- Keep your lashes clean: Be sure to clean your lashes regularly to remove any dirt, debris, or makeup that could clog the hair follicles and cause lash loss.
- See your doctor: If you are experiencing frequent or severe lash loss, be sure to see your doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions.
If you have any concerns with your eyelashes, don’t hesitate to contact Honest Lash. It offers the following services to keep your eyelashes looking fabulous:
- Lash Extension: We offer a variety of eyelash extensions to give you the lashes you desire.
- Brow Design: We can help you achieve the perfect brow shape to complement your face.
- Natural Lashes: We offer a variety of products and treatments to help you achieve healthy and longer lashes.
- Waxing: We offer a variety of waxing services to help you achieve the perfect brows and lashes.
If you have been experiencing eyelash loss, it is important to determine the cause in order to take corrective measures. The five causes of eyelash loss that we’ve discussed are only a few of the many possibilities, so it is always best to consult with a professional if you are concerned about your lashes.
However, there are some simple things that you can do at home to help prevent eyelash loss from happening again. Contact Honest Lash today for all of your lash needs – we want to make sure that your eyes look and feel their best! Pick from our locations at Austin, Bastrop, and Georgetown, Texas.